Caused by a parasite “Plasmodium”, this disease is spread by bite ofAnopheles mosquitoes that usually breed in clean water around our homes. Symptoms High Fever, headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, body pains. If malaria affects brain )”cerebral Malaria”), the person becomes drowsy, loses consciousness
and gets convulsions. Cerebral Malaria can cause death if not treated on time.• Treatment :
Please get a blood slide made and take treatment from a doctor. Keep the fever down by giving paracetamol. Drink lots of fluids.
• Prevention :
Prevent mosquito breeding and mosquito bites. Please see previous pages for these tips.
Precautions for Preventing Diseases that usually occur in Summer & Monsoon Months
The months of May, June July and August are the months when diseases like diarrhea (loose motions), gastro-enteritis, cholera (“Haiza”), typhoid fever and
Jaundice (“Peeliya”, Hepatitis) occur more frequently. Heat Stoke ("Loo Lagna") occurs when someone gets exposed to severe heat for a long time without proper protection.
They occur because of
1. Consumption of unclean water and food.
2. Eating stale food/ food sold in open
3. Dirty hands and nails.
4. Flies and dirty surroundings.
5. Heat Stroke occurs due to exposure to severe heat for a long time.
You can prevent almost all these diseases by following some simple precautions. These are specially important for young children.
1. Please drink only that water which has been properly chlorinated/ boiled/ filtered through instruments such as Aquaguard, R.O.system etc.
Boiling is the best method to purify water.
2. If you have to boil water at home, keep boiling the water for 15-20 minutes after boiling starts.
3. Don’t drink water from road side water sellers or dhabas or dirty hotels etc.
They don’t use clean glasses .
4. Always wash hands with soap and water :-
• Before eating anything with hands.
• After going to the toilet.
• After playing
5. Never eat food items that are sold in open (such as cut fruits, sweets) etc.
6. Avoid drinking roadside sugarcane juice. Don’t drink any liquid in which commercial ice has been added directly.
7. Don’t bottle feed young babies. Use katori / glass and spoon.
8. Keep your house and surroundings clean because garbage breeds flies.
9. Avoid eating chaat, golgappa, kulfi and "Jal Jeera" etc. from roadside vendors. They are usually unclean.
10. If some one has loose motions/ vomiting, please start giving lots of fluids (lassi, ORS, sugar-salt shinkanji, water, Daal Ka paani) etc. to such patients.
young children should be specially taken care of in such a situation. Kept feeding them normally (don’t stop breast feeding/ normal feeding).
If some one has too many loose motions/ vomiting, he / she should report immediately to the casualty. Specially, don’t ignore loose motions in children
11. Avoid eating salads in parties/ functions
12. Always wash raw vegetables (e.g. carrot, radish, cucumber) and fruits (e.g., apples, mangoes, watermelon etc.) in running water before eating.
13. Don’t expose yourself to hot sun for a long time. Always use cap, umbrella, sunglasses etc. Keep drinking a lot of water.