Chandigarh,26 Apr: Today, with a slogan of ‘PEDAL FOR CHANDIGARH’, Yuvsatta, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. & Department of Environment, Chandigarh Administration organized ‘3rd IndianOil EXTRA PREMIUM Inter-School Bicycle Games’, at Moti Ram Arya Sr. Sec. Model School, Sector 27A, Chandigarh. A total of 500 students from 20 different Schools of the city participated in the events.Explaining the initiative Mr. Parmod Sharma, Coordinator, Yuvsatta said that "the Games chosen are not at all exhausting, but on the other hand, most involving and fun generating like Slow Cycling, Zigzag Race, Largest Team on a Bike, Exchanging Balls while Cycling, Decorate your Bike Contest etc". Shri Pawan Kumar Bansal, Union Minister of State for Finance & Parliamentary Affairs, Govt. of India was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
In his welcome address Mr. Gurmeet Singh, Dy General Manager, Retail Sales, Indian Oil Corporation Limited informed that India is importing its two-third of petroleum product needs and with sky-rocketing global fuel prices country is facing acute shortage of money for developmental needs. And cycling will not only reduce oil consumption but will also augment developmental projects.
Sharing his dreams and concerns for young generation Mr. Pawan Kumar Bansal felt that youngsters could easily adopt Cycle as a mode of transport, which will not only promote healthy life-style but also responsible behaviour. He said promting the culture of cycling is a sutainable alternative to global crisis of unprecedented rise in day temperature, number of accidental deaths, hard-hitting pollution levels, cases of road-rage, parking woes, degrading health of people and unmanageable increase in global fuel prices.
The winners of different bicycle games organized on the occasion are;
1. DECORATE YOUR BIKE CONTEST:Junior boys:-1st Prize-Himayan of GMSSS, Sector 8, Chandigarh. Junior Girls:-1st Prize Tarika of Sri Aurobindo School of Integral Education.
2. SLOW CYCLING CONTEST: Junior boys:-1st Prize-Abhilaksh of Ajit Karam Singh International Public School; Junior Girls:-1st Prize-Bhawna of Govt. Sr. Sec. School, Manimajra Town; Senior boys:- 1st Prize-Anuj of Ajit Karam Singh International Public School; Senior Girls:- 1st Prize-GMSSS, Sector 8 B, Chandigarh.
3. LARGEST TEAM ON A BIKE:-1st Prize-DAV Sr. Sec. School;(Lahore), Sector 8B, Chandigarh.
4. Zig-zag Race: Junior boys:-1st Prize-Gurshan Singh, Sri Aurobindo School of Integral Education; Junior Girls:- 1st Prize- Nischal of Moti Ram Arya Sr. Sec. Model School; Senior boys:- 1st Prize-Vikas of GMSSS, Sector 33 D. Senior Girls:- 1st Prize- Priyanka of GMSSS, Sector 8 B, Chandigarh.
5. balls Picking: Senior boys:-1st Prize-Dalip of GMSSS, Sector 44B & Senior Girls:- 1st Prize-Simardeep of Banyan Tree School, Chandigarh.
6. Exchanging balls while cycling: Senior boys:-1st Prize-Karan & Chetan of DAV Sr. Sec. School (Lahore) Senior Girls:-1st Prize-Amandeep Kaur & Amandeep of Govt. Sr. Sec. School, Manimajra Town, Chandigarh.
THREE SCHOOLS NAMELY GOVT. MODEL SR. SEC. SCHOOL, SEC-8B, DAV SR. SEC. SCHOOL (LAHORE) & GOVT. SR. SEC. SCHOOL, MANIMAJRA (TOWN) WERE DECLARED OVERALL BEST IN THE GAMES.
Prominent amongst those who participated on the occasion included Mr. SB Prasad, Chief Divisional Retail Sales Manager, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Mrs. Shankuntla Mahajan, Director, MRA Sr. Sec. Model School & Mrs. Pooja Sharma, Member, Chandigarh Social Welfare Board.