Barinder Saluja, Chandigarh,Feb. 16 : Chandigarh police has got major break-through by arresting four members of inter-state gang of vehicle lifters, active in the area of Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh etc. and recovered 11 vehicles of various makes which includes five four wheelers and 6 two wheelers.
On dtd 10/2/2011 the special team of Chandigarh police comprising SI TARSEM SINGH, SI AJINDER SINGH, SI RAJDEEP SINGH along with other police officials led trap near light point IT PARK Chandigarh, on the receipt of secret information and arrested three persons namely (1) MAJOR SINGH S/0 GURBACHAN SINGH R/O VILL. SARAWAN, TEH JAITON, P.S KOTKAPURA DISST. FARIDKOT (2) LAKHVIR SINGH @ LUCKY S/O AMARJIT SINGH R/O P 10136, GALl NO. 32 JANTA NAGAR P.S SIMLAPURI DSt. LUDHIANA (3) RAJBIR SINGH @AMANDEEP SINGH R/O VILL. SADEWAAL P.S GOLEWAL DISH. FARIDKOT and recovered Maruti Swift Car bearing fake registration no. HR-04D-5983, which was snatched from the area of police station-Model Town Ludhiana (pb). The case FIR no. 40 dtd 10/2/2011 u/s 420/467/468/471/473/474/411/120-B IPC got registered at police station MANIMAJRA, UT, Chandigarh. During the course of further investigation of the case, another member of the gang namely JAGJIT @ SUNNY S/0 JAGIRI LAL R/O P 3656 GALl NO. 8 HARGOBINGPURA, P.S Div. NO. 7 LUDHIANA, has also been arrested on dated 11/02/2011.
The modes operandi of the gang is that firstly they used to search the vehicles parked (in start position) with ladies or kids sitting in it. After snatching the vehicle they use to make persons jump from the vehicle by threatening with dire consequences. The other method of the gang is that they used to hire a vehicle from the Taxi-stand for some fake destination and later snatch the vehicle after giving him intoxicant in cold drink.
Accused persons were arrested earlier also by the Punjab Police for same offences. The brother and son of accused MAJOR SINGH are currently lodged in the Jails of Punjab for the offence of snatching of cars and for murder, who were also the members of his gang. Accused JAGJIT @ Sunny has also confessed that he was involved in the crime of smuggling of liquor from Chandigarh to Ludhiana.
Detail of the recovered vehicle is as under:-
1. MARUTI SWIFT Car bearing fake registration no. HR-04-D-5983 related to case FIR no. 165 dtd 8/9/2010 u/s 382 IPC P.S Model Town Ludhiana.
2. YAMAHA Motorcycle related to case FIR NO. 325/2010 dtd. 20/9/2010 U/S 379 IPC P.S-17, Chandigarh.
3. HERO HONDA UNICOM motorcycle related to case FIR NO. 271 dtd. 9/7/2010 u/s 379 IPC, P.S-39, Chandigarh.
4. BAJAJ PLATINA motorcycle related to case FIR NO. 332 dtd 15/08/2010 u/s 379 IPC, P.S-39, Chandigarh.
5. MARUTI SWIFT Car related case FIR No. 207 dtd. 29/12/2010 u/s 382 IPC P.S. Model Town Ludhiana.
6. INNOVA car related to case FIR NO. 14 dtd 22/1/2011 u/s 328,379 PC Police Station-Ropar City, Ropar.
7. FORD FIGO car related to case FIR no. 79 dtd. 18/1/2011 u/s 381 IPC Police Station-PAN IPAT CITY, Panipat.
8. HUNDAI VERNA car bearing fake registration no. HR-51U-8296 of a SANTRO car related to case FIR No.255 dated 13/05/2008 u/s 379 P5-34 U.T. Chandigarh.
9. HONDA ACTIVA bearing fake registration no. PB-47D-2691 stolen from the area police station-MOTI NAGAR LUDHIANA.
10. HERO HONDA PASSION bearing registration no. PB-l0-B- 4886.
11. YAMAHA motorcycle bearing registration no. HR-03E-8919.
Accused person Rajbir Singh @ Amandeep has sent to judicial custody and the other three accused persons are still in police custody. The police remand of the accused persons has been obtained till 16/02/2011 by producing them in the court of sh. Ranjeev Kumar, JMIC, UT, Chandigarh. More recoveries are expected from their further interrogation.