By Sameer Saxena, Bsc final, Jaipur :
What Is conjunctivitis (eye flu) ?
Conjunctivitis is also called “madras eye”, eye flu in India , “pink eye” is an acute inflammation of the conjunctiva most commonly due to an allergic reaction or an infection ,usually viral, but sometimes bacterial.
Causes Of Conjunctivitis
* Direct contact with an infected person
* Unhygienic surroundings
* Irritating substance or material in the eyes
* Ophthalmia neonatorum
* Environmental factors, such as smoke, dust, or pollen
* Chemical splash in the eye
Symptoms Of Conjunctivitis
* Eyes turn reddish
* Itching in the eyes
* Watery secretion from the eyes
* Pus formation in the eyes
* Redness in the white of the eye or inner eyelid
* Increased amount of tears
* Thick yellow discharge from the eyes, which crusts over the eyelashes, especially after sleep
* Green or white discharge from the eye
* Burning eyes
* Blurred vision
* Increased sensitivity to light
* Inflamed eyes
Home Remedy For Conjunctivitis
* One of the effective remedies for curing conjunctivitis is to mix 2 tsp. chamomile flowers and 1 tsp oregon grape root in 2 cups of boiling water. Once cooled, strain this mixture and use it as an eye wash.
* Sliced potatoes would also be beneficial in curing conjunctivitis. Peel the potato and cut it into thin slices. Apply on the affected area of the eye.
* Prepare a tea using goldthread leaves and use it as a eye wash. Not only does it cure the swollenness caused and the infection, it also relieves a person of the pain.
* An excellent eye wash for treating conjunctivitis would be to prepare a decoction using handful of dried coriander in 60 ml of water. It relieves a person of the pain and lessens the swelling as well.
* Increase in the consumption of vitamin A and B2 helps in curing conjunctivitis. The foods rich in Vitamin A are whole milk, yoghurt, butter, carrots, pumpkin, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, mangoes, and papaya whereas green leafy vegetables, almonds, citrus fruits, bananas and tomatoes have high content of vitamin B2.
* Indian gooseberry juice has medicinal properties which cure conjunctivitis. Prepare a cup of this juice and add two teaspoons of honey. Consumption of this juice two times everyday would be beneficial.
* Carrot juice also is effective in treating conjunctivitis. To enhance the efficacy of this, add spinach to it. Mix 200 ml of spinach juice with 300 ml of carrot juice. Another combination of raw parsley juice 200ml, mixed with 300 ml of carrot juice also has therapeutic properties and provides relief.
* Sterile cotton ball and dip it in warm water. Use this to take away the crust formed on the eyelashes. Warmly compress the cotton against the eye to provide relief.
* Another remedy for conjunctivitis, would be apply poultice yogurt on the infected area of the eye. It would heal the itchiness caused.
Source : iloveindia